Often our doctors have told us to eat more fiber. But many of us aren’t entirely sure why we actually need fiber and how it benefits out bodies. That being the case, here are eight facts to help you learn more about benefits of fiber.
Health Benefits of High Fiber Diet
1. Fiber fights disease. A high fiber diet can help prevent colon cancer and heart disease. Fiber helps remove cholesterol from the body by binding with it in the digestive tract. Oatmeal is high in fiber, which is why we see so many commercials about how it can reduce your cholesterol if you eat it every day for 6 weeks.
2. Fiber can help you avoid overeating. High fiber foods take longer to chew and digest. Since they take longer to digest, you feel full and satisfied longer. In turn, this can help you avoid the mid-morning or mid-afternoon munchies.
3. Grains offer the highest amount of fiber. Fiber is actually plant matter that we cannot digest. That is why whole grains and products with concentrated amounts of grain are the best sources of fiber.
4. Children need fibers in their diets too. Children over the age of 2 need to eat their daily allowance of fiber. Fruits, vegetables and some breakfast cereals are all good, kid friendly foods that are high in fiber.
5. When eating a diet higher in fiber, you also need to drink more water. As noted earlier, fiber is plant material that we cannot digest. You need water to keep it moving efficiently through your digestive system. If you don’t drink enough water with a high fiber diet, it can lead to bloating and constipation.
6. Fiber cannot be cooked out of your food. Many vitamins and minerals are sensitive to heat and are actually destroyed during the cooking process. That is not the case with fiber.
7. You can actually overeat and get too much fiber. If you eat more than 50 grams a day, it can lead to diarrhea and bloating. It can also interfere with your body’s absorption of key minerals. In this case, too much of a good thing is true.
8. Its easy to get the right amount of fiber in your diet. If you eat the right foods, getting the right amount of fiber is not hard. This means eating a variety of fruits, vegetables and whole grains every day.
As you can see, fiber is a key way to stay healthy. Not only can it help you lose weight by making you feel full longer, it can help avoid many diseases and health issues. Fiber is found in so many foods that it is easy for everyone to add it to their diet and get enough every day. One of the best sources of fiber are fresh fruits and vegetables. These are some of the most inexpensive items in any grocery store, so getting enough fiber is also an inexpensive way to be healthy.