This is a wonderful chakra meditation to do to reconnect and recharge. It takes between 20-30 mins and you can do it by yourself in the comfort of your home. All you need is to print out the guidelines, a bit of imagination and a quiet space.
Chakra Meditation Guidelines
- Find a quiet place where you will be undisturbed for about half an hour.
- It’s best to lie to down on a rug or mat placed on the floor (beds can be too comfortable and induce sleep) or sit in a chair if you find you can meditate in this position.
- It’s a good idea to lock pets out of the room if you can, they love to join in when they feel the energies around you change and there’s nothing worse than a loudly purring cat nuzzling you in the face whilst you’re deep in meditation.
- There is a lot of ‘imagining’ involved in this meditation. Don’t worry if you can’t see what you’re asked, just have a go, it will still have beneficial results. Often having trouble imagining a particular chakra means that you are unbalanced in this area. Spend more time focusing on the ones you find difficult to imagine.
- If you find it hard to remember the instructions ask a friend or family member to guide you through the meditation. After a few times you’ll be able to do it by yourself.
- The meditation should take between 25-30 minutes. Spend about 3-4 minutes on each of the chakras (allowing for lots of silence if you are the one guiding).
- Open your mind and enjoy the experience.
Start the meditation by taking seven long, deep breaths. Feel all the stresses in your body leaving as you exhale. Concentrate on each of your muscles, feel them relax one by one and the tension channel from your toes, up through your body and out with your breath. Focus on your breathing and allow your mind to relax into a deep meditative state.
Now imagine a vibrant red whirlpool of light opening from the very base of your body, just below your genitals. This is your root chakra where you connect to the world. Now see the light opening like a flower. See it start to spin slowly at first but then get faster, the light richer and more intense.
Now imagine a rich red beam of light, like a thick cord, shooting out from the centre of this chakra. Imagine it going all the way down deep into the earth. Feel the strong sense of connection you have to the world around you. Enjoy this strong feeling of being grounded.
aWhen you feel this connection to be really strong move your attention to the next chakra, the sacral chakra, the centre of your creativity. Imagine a wheel of rich orange light coming out from just above your genitals. Again, see it starting to spin and see the light getting more intense and stronger as it does.
Now move up to the solar plexus chakra, just below the belly button. This is where you experience your ‘gut feelings’. See a golden yellow light starting to grow and spin as you focus upon it. Imagine this light glowing strongly and spinning more intensely.
Next comes the heart chakra in the centre of your chest. This is the chakra concerned with feelings of love. Picture a beautiful emerald green wheel of light gently spinning, getting faster as you spend your time concentrating upon it.
Now move up to the throat chakra, your centre for expression and communication. See in your mind a gentle pale blue wheel of light spinning at the bottom of your throat, between the inner collarbones. Enjoy the feelings that come as the spinning of the light increases in speed and intensity.
Move up to the third eye chakra, located between your eyebrows, the centre for your intuition. The chakra spins a rich indigo blue filling your mind with an intense colour.
Lastly move up to the crown chakra, your connection to the spiritual world and the divine spirit of creation. Imagine a violet light coming out the top of your head and starting to slowly spin.
When you feel this connection to be really strong look down and see all of your chakras over your body like a string of brightly coloured pearls. Now imagine opening up your crown chakra to the universe. Feel your body and spirit filled with power as you are connected directly to the divine and universal truth.
Now imagine a brilliant white light coursing through you and your chakras, shooting down from the heavens into your crown, causing each of your chakras to spin faster and glow even more intensely.
See the white light shooting down into your root chakra and connect with the red beam of light that is connecting you to the earth. Spend some time enjoying the sensations of this magical display as your the energies fill your being.
When you are ready close your crown and root chakras. You can do this by imagining the spinning of the chakras to slow down and halt. Now imagine the beams of white and red light that are connecting you to the universe and the earth fading away.
Move your attention to the other chakras seeing each of them start to slow their spinning until they come to a stop, they are now just glowing brightly.
Take three long deep breaths and start to reawaken your body and your mind to your surroundings. When you are ready open your eyes.
Ceri Balston is the editor of online alternative lifestyle portal Harmonious Living. Visit http://www.harmoniousliving.co.za.