It may be winter, but that doesn’t mean your skin has to be so dry. It’s time to put an end to those cold season skin issues! We gathered a list of tips to help combat the "winter skin blues". Check out these 10 ways to take better care of your skin this season.
1. Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! Don’t overlook this most important step. Dead skin cells on the skin’s surface can prevent your moisturizer from doing its job, so make this a top priority. It is most effective to exfoliate before showering. It can be done while showering, but is more effective when the skin is dry. Body scrubs exfoliate the skin using sugar or salt usually mixed with oil to slough away dead skin cells. Using a body scrub regularly will improve the appearance of your skin, as well as stimulate circulation.
2. Always moisturize your skin after showering or bathing. Applying moisturizer often makes a big difference, but it is especially effective when applied just after washing. This works by capturing the moisture on your skin. After bathing, gently pat excess moisture from the skin and quickly apply a good moisturizer while skin is still damp.
3. Use a different moisturizer during winter. Mechanics often suggest changing the type of your automobile’s oil with the seasons. We should also do the same with our skin moisturizer. As weather conditions change, so should your skin care routine. Consider swapping the lighter, water-based summer lotion for a heavier, oil-based skin cream during the winter.
4. Do your hands feel like sandpaper? It is a must to apply moisturizer on a regular basis, especially after you wash your hands. Get several containers of lotion and keep them handy. Put them beside the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink, in your handbag, on your night stand, etc. Put on a good amount of lotion before putting on your gloves every time you leave the house. It’s a good habit to do all winter long.
5. Moisturize your skin overnight. Bedtime is a good time to use heavier products on your skin such as oils, creams and body butters. Greasier products tend to hold in moisture best. So slick your skin up and slide into the sheets. Moisturizers made with shea butter are particularly good. In the morning your skin will feel better hydrated.
6. Try extra humidity. Chapping and windburn can be the price for heading outdoors in cold weather, but indoor heating can also dry out your skin. Humidifiers add moisture to dry household air. Forced air furnaces and heaters are very drying. A good humidifier is helpful for dry skin, and actually makes it easier to set the thermostat lower since moist air feels warmer. Humidifiers help prevent frizzy hair and static cling too. Anything that adds moisture to your indoor air helps. Water fountains are another way to add moisture to the air, and can be fun and soothing as well.
7. Don’t Forget To Drink Water. Beautiful skin really does start from the inside out. A bad diet shows up on your skin and deprives it of the nutrients it needs to stay soft and supple. Sometimes we forget to drink enough water during cold weather. Drinking eight 8 ounce size glasses a day is recommended.
8. Love hot baths? A long soak or steamy shower feels terrific, but streams of water hotter than 98.6 degrees can strip the natural oils from the skin. If you just can’t resist, try to limit that sizzling shower to five minutes. Always finish by applying body oil or moisturizer before you dress.
9. Unlike the body and face, our hands are subjected to more daily assaults from exposure to the environment. The sun, wind, water, and harsh chemicals punish the hands and accelerate premature aging in a noticeable way. Using a thicker hand cream will soften, soothe, nourish, and protect your hands.
10. Sunscreen’s not just for summer. Ultraviolet rays linked to skin cancer and premature wrinkling can wreck havoc even when it’s cold and overcast. And when you hit the slopes or lace up those ice skates – remember that snow and ice reflect up to 85% of the sun’s damaging rays. So be sure to protect your skin from UV rays, even in the winter!
Dry skin is a very common skin problem and is often worse during the winter when environmental humidity is low. Banish dry skin and give your winter skin care regimen a boost. Follow these winter skin tips and you can get through the winter season with less dry and itchy skin than ever before.
Let Renaud Naturals help your skin look and feel fabulous using all natural, organic products. Take 20% off any online order ‘just use coupon code RP20. Be kind to your body’ use natural products! To learn more about natural skin and body care, visit http://www.RenaudNaturals.com Renaud Naturals "Where Science and Nature Become One."