Most people don’t realize just how bad the toxic chemicals in their daily household cleaners are for them. These chemicals have been linked to lung disease and asthma. In fact, a study done by the University of Bergen in Norway found that being exposed to chemical cleaners daily for 20 years caused the equivalent of smoking 20 cigarettes a day in test subject’s lungs!
Chemicals in spray cleaners can linger in the air for hours after they have been applied causing harm to you, your family and even your pets. For this reason, it’s important to use natural cleaning solutions whenever possible.
Many people are intimidated by the thought of using natural cleaning products, but they are actually simple to make. In fact, many of the ingredients in natural cleaning product recipes can already be found in most homes.
Cleaning Hacks For the Kitchen:
Did you know that studies have shown that your kitchen sink can be dirtier than your toilet? While the first instinct can be to reach for the 409, some of these natural cleaners can be just as effective—and non-toxic!
- Sanitize sponges by soaking them in a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and warm water. Rinse thoroughly after.
- Wash kitchen surfaces by using an all-purpose cleaner made from equal parts vinegar and water. If you want to infuse some citrus peels into the mixture for a couple weeks, you can have a fresh smelling all natural cleaner.
- Rub cream of tartar on stainless steel appliances and buff it off for a polished look.
Cleaning Hacks For the Bathroom:
The bathroom can be another place that gets really, really dirty. Here are some tips to keep your bathroom sparkling and non-toxic!
- Create a grout scrub paste by mixing equal parts baking soda and bleach. Just apply the paste and scrub off with an old toothbrush!
- Keep your toilet brush clean by spraying it with vinegar after you are done cleaning the toilet.
- Scrub the toilet bowl with a paste of equal parts baking soda and water. This can be used for porcelain surfaces too.
Cleaning Hacks For the Whole House:
The rest of the house can benefit from a good clean too. Here are some of our favorite miscellaneous home cleaning tips!
- Create a blind cleaning solution with equal parts vinegar and water. Spray it on the blinds and wipe it off with an old sock.
- Use Coca-Cola to lift oil stains off garage floors. Just pour it on and then mop it up!
- Brighten floors with a half a cup of hydrogen peroxide and one gallon of hot water. Just put the mixture in a bucket and mop it up!
If you use these natural cleaning products in your home you are sure to have a clean and healthy home.
Infographic from Simply Self Storage: Natural Cleaning Hacks